Friday, May 28, 2010

Well that was NOT fun!

No, I didn't have fun in surgery. There...that question is answered.
It was sure fun getting there though.
Mike and I spent the night in Salt Lake and we both woke up very was 3:30am....the day of surgery.
Neither of us could get back to sleep, so we packed our stuff up from our luxurious stay at the Full service Hilton downtown Salt Lake.

While many people would say "oohh la la" about us staying at a full service Hilton, we were just there to find peace from the upcoming storm. Although I still don't get too razzed up, staying in nice hotels, IE: Marriott and Hilton products. It was nice. It was also as if it were decades ago in which I was professionally managed them. Weird how life changes so rapidly.

I didn't even inspect the room! (though many thoughts entered my head about some notable deficiencies)
Anyway...we decided to get some munchies for Mike while I was in surgery, and we ran across the chevron Breast cancer car. They had some 2008 and 2007 editions, but we thought it would be cool to have a 2010. Off we went, I googled all of the chevrons in salt lake and at 4:30 in the morning, we went from chevron to chevron to find that car. We thought it would be a funny way to remember what we had done. We didn't find a 2010 car, but settled for a 2009 car we found somewhere in Midvale, I think.

We then found ourselves destined for something cool. I remembered they had made a breast cancer barbie. So we found a 24 hour Wal-Mart and went looking for that. No pink barbie, but we did find a barbie that you could color her hair pink! I passed with that expense. So with a few more stops at Maverick and 7-11's, we couldn't find any pink tic-tacs either. Oh well, I had my car!
Long story short, we get to the hospital at 6:30.....and wait and wait and wait...and the surgery before me went over, so I finally got in for surgery at 2:30. Mike and I were trashed!

I remember waking up from surgery really parched and my lips were incredibly chapped! The surgery went for 5 hours! I feel bad for Mike, having to wait that long.
and so it went, I thew up until Wednesday morning until 7am. That's all I did. That anesthesia really did a number on me!
But I am here today, writing my blog, and proud to say...."I had a bilateral mastectomy...and I am here!"
I am in pain, but it is what it is. The upcoming road scares me quite a bit, but what will be will be....

Come what may and Love it, right?
I will let you all know when I have the "Love it" down. Maybe I need to go through this to help someone else, or my own girls in their future...who knows?


  1. Sounds like you had a great time before surgery anyways! I am so glad that your surgery is over with. You need to post some pictures of your gorgeous self on here!

  2. Wow, crazy morning of your surgery! Good to know you got through everything ok. Keep up the good attitude! You can conquer this sister! Love you!