Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How this came to be...

No doubt many of you wonder what my story is and how this all came to be. I just turned 30, I am a pretty healthy, active individual. I eat very healthy and take my supplements.

Apparently there isn't anything I could have done to prevent this. It is quite hereditary and this is something I obviously would not have known about.

I went into the Dr for my yearly exam, you know the one all of us women dread. I knew something was wrong though. I had felt a lump on my breast a few weeks prior, but I figured it was just something I would ask about.

My Dr. suggested I be seen at the Huntsman Cancer Treatment Center. She assured me they would be able to get to the bottom of things.

I was quickly scheduled for that very next week. They preformed an ultrasound and also a mammogram.
They immediately suggested I get a biopsy. We went in the very next morning for the biopsy where I was poked and prodded for 4 hours. Yes, it hurt. They took several samples from the lump, the calcification's and the very enlarged lymph node.

On Tuesday May 11th at 12:15 in the afternoon I received the call.
They said those words I had been dreading. " I am so sorry, Shayla, you have Breast Cancer"

I have cancer in the lump, in the calcification's running wild and show signs of cancer throughout my lymph nodes.

I knew it though, I had a feeling. I kept my composure for all of about 4 rings on the phone to my husbands work.
He answered and I lost it.
Its a good thing to have such a great husband. I know he is hurting, yet he has been so strong.

Yes....I have Breast Cancer, and yes, I am scared of the long road in front of me. I go in for a pre-op this Monday so we can make a plan of attack on treatments and so forth.

I can say today, I look forward to seeing what the Lord will teach me through these trying times. I cannot do this alone and I am eternally grateful for my loving Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ. Together and through the Atonement, this too shall pass.

I love all of you guys so much. I know for a fact each and every one of you has been placed in my path for a very distinct reason. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers and support. It means everything and I feel stronger already to know how many friends and family I have to support me.

3 comments:

  1. Shayla thanks for sharing your journey - I wish you the best in all your treatments. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shayla, I just learned of your cancer from Brinda, I am sorry. I will keep you in my prayers. You are very strong. If you need any help from far away please let me know
    Liz (blake) Memmott
    lizzers26 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shayla, You are such a strong lady. Head up and shoulders back you have a battle to face! Let me know if I can do anything for you and your family. Love you so much, Rose

    ReplyDelete